Monday, May 16, 2011

The Bounce Back

I think one of the hardest things to do for most people after having a baby is getting back to pre-baby shape.  I worked out for the first time since having Alex and Oy, all I can say is it was weird to get back into the swing of things.  For one, staying at home with Alex gives me the luxury of having the great time with just her and I.  I also know it's good for us to get out.  Dropping her off at the daycare at the Y was a little nerve wracking for me.

I know all of her little noises, when she's upset or happy.  When she wants to be picked up, or when she's just a little fussy.  How are these people going to know all of that?  Well, they won't, but she'll be fine.  It's hard for me to relinquish control, especially when it comes to the most important thing in my life, but practice makes perfect right?  Today's workout was only 20 min of cardio.  I figured I'd start slowly both physically AND emotionally.
Once again, would you want to leave this face?
I've been EXTREMELY blessed in bouncing back to my pre-baby weight.  Before I continue, those of you who don't know me, didn't know I was the biggest I had ever been before I had Alex.  Last January, Mark and I started working out and I lost 15 lbs, only then to discover I was pregnant, how's that for a ego blow.  However, I ate right, exercised early on during pregnancy and only gained 15 lbs throughout it. The awful morning sickness at the beginning may have aided the slow weight gain as I initially lost more weight, and I really don't want to remember that!

2 weeks after having Alex I was back to my pre-pregnancy body, and month after I had her I was down 2 sizes from before I was pregnant.  I think is was the combination of nursing, sleep deprivation, and not eating.  Not a recommended way to lose the weight by the way, but I guess it was effective at the time.  I was told that I was made to have babies, whatever that means, but I do know how lucky I am.  A lot of women struggle with that, and thankfully being my first I think it was easier, however, now that I am done nursing, it's time to get back to the grind!

I can touch my toes, can you?


Why can't I reach this?

Exercising is obviously a great way to stay healthy and give me more energy with Alex, and although I feel a bit guilty of the "me" time, it's best for the both of us I think.  I have a feeling that there will be many sore days coming up and training my body to work again will be interesting.  I can honestly say that shopping is more fun nowadays.  Fitting in clothes I haven't in probably close to 8 years, is liberating.  Going through my closet and having to buy new clothes since nothing fits, exciting, and a bit expensive.  I still have a lot of work to do, especially with a trip to Aruba in 2 months (I'm not beach ready yet), but I have an excellent motivator in my husband, and the perfect workout aid all wrapped up in a drooling, adorable 13 1/2 lb bundle of baby.

1 comment:

  1. good work, robyn! yeah, most people don't want to hear about weight loss after pregnancy, but i get what you're saying. and, as a breast feeding advocate (!) that's another factor why i wonder that more ladies don't do it - it really does slim you down!

    never feel bad about ME time! i think as long as your me time doesn't outweigh the time with your babe, then you're doing fine!

    p.s. alex is so so so cute!

    ReplyDelete