Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mean Girls

This is kind of a letter to Alex when she's grown and in high school or middle school, maybe these words will come in handy and maybe not.


Don't you wish that sometimes they can stay this way forever :)

Alex, when you grow up I want you to do your best not to be a mean girl.  Being exclusive and thinking you are better than people will not get you far in life.  People may fear you, but they will not respect you nor love you.  If you happened to be blessed with beauty and brains you should use them wisely.  If not, you will work hard to achieve what you need to with the help of your family and friends.  You are perfect to your father and I, but that doesn't mean you don't need to work and can get by on what is on the outside.

Alex with her Aunt Heather and Cousins, playing some tunes


Girls can be mean.  I mean really really mean.  Yes, boys can be too, but in a much different way.  Girls have a way to manipulate and hurt with a look, a word, or just by their presence.  I don't know how or why, but girls are able to be cruel to each other in a way I don't think boys have or are even aware of.  Looks will only get you so far in this world and those that flaunt theirs will quickly learn that beyond the scope of high school, the type of person you are means so much more.  I would rather you have 2 good friends and be a good person, than have 20 and have no clue what kind of person you are.  As cliche as it sounds, good friends will like you for you, and you don't need to change who you are to fit in.  Same with boys.  Those who have any sense will love you for who you are, and never change yourself to fit with a boy, you should fit like two pieces of a puzzle, you can't force it.

Her future husband should watch out for this look!

Your battle will not be fought with fists or physical strength.  Yours will be a mental challenge and one of character.  I hope your father and I raise you with the good values and compassion that your grandparents taught us.  I hope we instill in you the ability to support the weak and undervalued and give you the sense of morality.  There are times when all of us fail and mistakes are made.  That is fine and we will love you all the same.  I just hope that there is kindness if you, and so much can be achieved with a smile and kind word.  I don't want you to be naive and think everyone will think the same.  There are those who will take advantage of that kindness but those are the cases you will need to learn for yourself.  Even as adults we suffer from these problems, and they don't go away, you just learn how to handle it better.

Alex's first friend, Rambo
 You don't have to like everybody and chances are there will be a few that you don't.  We will try to teach you how to rise above it, although there are times when we struggle with this too.  I hope that we don't give you a sense of entitlement and you earn what you are given, work for what you want, and lend a helping hand along the way.  If I ever find out you are cruel or go out of your way to make life difficult for someone else, I will bring down the hammer in the worst way!  I love you and I know a lot of who you are will be set in a foundation by your papa and I.  I hope we don't fail you, and you learn that just being nice will get you far.  Love, your Mama.

Such a happy precious girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment