Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Childcare Merry-go-round

It's hard enough finding people you trust to watch the most precious commodity on the planet, your kids.  Once you do, you want to hang on to dear life and not let them go.  If you have someone that watches your child and you love them, let them know!!

I think this is a fantastic face

The good and bad part of this job is that it's part time.  There are not many people that are willing to only watch a kid for 3 hours in the afternoon 4 days a week.  Not to mention we have a limited budget to pay them since I get paid squat as a coach!  Mark and I both agree that I don't need to make money on my job, I do it because I love it.  However, we obviously don't want to be paying for me to work, which is ridiculous.  All I want is to break even on childcare and I will be happy.


Sadly that is much easier said than done.  Childcare is expensive and I understand it should be as people are caring for the most important thing in your world, your child.  Having said that, it is very frustrating finding someone qualified that will watch a child on a very limited salary.  I mean, what sane person only works from 2:30 - 5:30 in the afternoons?  Here is where I raise my hand and sigh.  Most daycare's don't do hourly, and I don't work enough or get paid enough to put her in part time daycare.  In our situation it leaves mainly college students, which is fine, but schedules change, activities come up, and let's face it, they can be a bit flighty at times.


I do wonder a lot if it's worth it, and I tell myself, it is, but some days it takes more convincing than others.  I love what I do, and would not being doing it if I didn't.  I am one of those extremely blessed people to be able to have a supportive husband who allows me to follow my passion and supports me, now that we have the means to do so. Does passion out trump your child?  Never.  Do I want to continue doing what I'm doing. Yes.  I just want to make sure Alex is taken care of first and foremost, and those watching her are reliable and trustworthy!  I think we've found that in our new person, but we will see.
Peek a boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment